Social Enterprise in Brisbane | Brisbane City Council
Social Enterprise in Brisbane
Brisbane City Council is committed to the advancement of social enterprises. These programs are in addition to existing business initiatives, which are all part of building Australia’s most business-friendly city.
Stronger Social Enterprises: Business Coaching
Council is committed to advancing the development of Brisbane social enterprises.
In 2022, Council is continuing to fund one-on-one business coaching to assist established social enterprises to grow and develop their business model.
Applications are now open. Submit your application before midnight on Sunday 20 February 2022.
Prominence Consulting will provide 14 established social enterprises up to 11-hours of tailored one-on-one business coaching from 7 March to June 2022.
Business coaching is a collaborative two-way relationship between a business and a professional coach, to help in progressing a key goal or goals that are important for the development and success of the business. The coach’s role is to provide the guidance, support and accountability you need to help you set and move through your goals, allowing you to take your business from where it is to where you want it to be.
Prominence Consulting has provided business coaching since 2003 and has extensive experience in tackling business problems for small businesses, not-for-profits, social enterprises and large organisations in an efficient and fit-for-purpose way. The coaching can focus on a range of areas including:
- business operating model
- marketing and communication
- business improvement and cost reduction
- supply chain and quality
- human resources and industrial relations
- ICT/digital transformation
- tenancy negotiations
- business strategy and risk management
- maximising social return on investment (SROI).
- Up to 11-hours of business coaching for each successful social enterprise from 7 March to June 2022.
- Targeted and tailored, one-on-one business coaching, focusing on the areas that will be most beneficial to you/your business within the coaching time available.
- Depending on the goals you set, this program will require approximately 20 hours of your dedicated time for the duration of the program to participate in both the one-on-one coaching sessions and enable you to complete agreed activities/tasks between coaching sessions.
- Building on the work achieved during the coaching sessions, your coach will work with you so that you have an action plan for you to carry forward into the future.
To be eligible to apply for business coaching, a social enterprise must:
- be physically located within the Brisbane City Council Local Government Area
- have been trading for a minimum of two years
- derive most of its income from trade, not donations or grants
- use a portion of its profits to work towards its social mission
- be able to dedicate approximately 20 hours of your time for the coaching sessions and agreed activities/tasks.
Process and timeframes
Council will assess applications and select the social enterprises that will receive business coaching in consultation with Prominence Consulting.
Council will notify applicants of the outcome of their application by 4 March 2022.
Business coaching will be conducted from 7 March to June 2022. Actual timing for each session will be agreed between the business and the coach on an as need basis.